Hands-on Product Management Executive with an exceptional record of devising and implementing the strategies that lead companies to new levels of global market presence, revenue and shareholder value. Trusted adviser and coach to senior-management team who translates ideas into rapid action by assessing market needs and integrating industry trends, innovations and technologies to develop solutions that facilitate sustainable growth, capture critical market share and gain competitive edge – helped organizations build product lines ranging from $5M to $300M.
Performance-driven P&L leader with a demonstrated ability to drive change and transform cultures to create synergies between disparate operations and functions, forming cohesive world-class teams that exceed expectations in complex environments. Adept at building alliances across multiple industries with expertise in new product development and launch, strategic marketing, customer-focused sales, global team leadership and general management. MBA, Duke University.
Decisive. Analytical. Enterprising. Creative.
- Product Management
- Inbound and Outbound Marketing
- New Business Development
- Technology Portfolio Management
- Product Line Management
- P&L with Staff size to 40+
- Process Improvement, Six-Sigma Black Belt
- Consumer and Enterprise Software
- Mobile and App Store
- Engineering Background
- SaaS, Cloud and Web Service
- SEO, SEM and eCommerce
- Social Networking
US patent – “System and method for event tracking across plural contact mediums”
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR • Nov 2010 – Present
TechSpense • Austin, TX
TechSpense is investigating business models suitable for offering business and technology services exclusively to 501(c)3 organizations, such as The Audubon Society, with the goal to enable NPOs to do more good work with less.
- Increase the capacity of charitable organizations to more effectively fulfill their missions through technological and business process solutions.
- Provide leadership in digital literacy and education programs to improve the operational capacities of nonprofit organizations and their sponsored projects.
- Connect corporate, philanthropic, and government leadership to the technical issues and needs confronting nonprofit organizations.
- Facilitate Executive Director and Board vision formation by demystifying business and technical capabilities surrounding virtualization, cloud, social media, and traditional IT capabilities.
DIRECTOR, PRODUCT MANAGEMENT (“Entwicklungsleiter”) • Nov 2006 – Nov 2010
Brainware Solutions AG • Zug, Switzerland
Leading enterprise IT management SaaS and development firm serving financial, insurance and industrial firms in Europe, Japan and South Africa.
Recruited to transform an amalgamation of in-house developed software into a credible and highly competitive enterprise product. Assessed and improved existing business processes, established new product strategy, redefined product marketing, built industry partnerships, drove product lifecycle process adoption across the enterprise, developed and executed plans to facilitate strategic growth, identified and targeted large customers, applied product management principles, applied processes and best practices throughout the company, and launched a mature product that customers wanted. Directed total of 26 reports in three countries.
- Helped company achieve strategic growth goal – taking it from 20 to 100 employees – while increasing licensing and product maintenance revenue by 4x.
- Slashed product development operating expenses 8x the first year through streamlining, virtualization and new technologies; OPEX savings helped triple annual revenue by enabling strategic merger between South African and German companies.
- Delivered competitive market advantage by building co-marketing partnerships with Intel and Microsoft.
- Positioned company to land its largest accounts, including one marquee account that is 5x larger than any previous sale.
- Integrated global support organizations reducing response times up to 90%, while extending support coverage.
CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER • Aug 2005 – Sep 2006
Spare Backup Inc. • Palm Desert, CA
Consumer and SMB online services start-up focused on safeguarding end-point PC and mobile-phone personal data through cloud-based solutions.
Challenged to turn around an off-track start-up by clarifying its value proposition, improving its product, streamlining operations, upgrading its human capital, building a customer base, and bringing in new private equity. Recruited and developed the Marketing, Sales, Engineering, Support, and Corporate Services teams. Directed 42 staff, $6M P&L, and $1M operating budget. Assisted with 10-Q, 8-K and other regular SEC filings.
- Delivered on goal of pushing flagship product into the retail sector leading to contracts with Sony, HP, Best Buy and CompUSA.
- Created a sustainable Internet-based service strategy that generated new paying customers and accounted for the company’s largest portion of revenue growth.
- Secured $4M in private equity funding and orchestrated every aspect of Spare Backup’s go-to-market strategy.
SENIOR MANAGER, PRODUCT AND SERVICES • Feb 2000 – Aug 2005
Dell Computer Inc. • Austin, TX
A leading global provider of computing equipment, digital storage and services.
Initially recruited to drive down user support costs before being tapped by Product and Services to identify new revenue streams and cost-cutting solutions. Refocused Marketing and Product Development teams, identified and championed pre-installed software solutions, streamlined online support services, launched online support communities, developed patent-pending customer behavior modeling techniques, conducted internal accounting and quarterly operation reviews, and drove ISO 9001 certification for the group.
- Prototyped the award-winning Lithium Technologies firm as part of Dell’s user support cost-cutting initiative; streamlined online destinations to include chat, diagnostics and improved SEO.
- Delivered $120M operating cost reduction by initiating online forums, improving SEO, and pre-installing diagnostic software tools.
- Built software product lines from startup to $300M+ in annualized returns on a $10M annual budget.
- Pioneered business case and application of social technology in creating one of the industry’s first online community forums; generated year-one $15M bottom-line savings – the forums are valued at millions of dollars today.
STRATEGIC ALLIANCES MANAGER • Feb 1990 – Feb 2000
Advanced Micro Devices Inc. • Sunnyvale, CA
World’s #2 semiconductor manufacturer providing CPUs, networking, memory and embedded products to global OEMs, PC and server hardware customers worldwide.
Charged with developing strategic C-level partnerships and building inroads into consumer-software development houses, digital media providers and enterprise software showrooms around the world. Ran co-marketing programs, represented AMD at major trade shows, and identified key enabling technologies in collaboration with software development firms. Served on AMD’s Relationship Management team.
- Inspired and marketed products in collaboration with 100+ video gaming and enterprise ISV partners; built alliances with Lucas Arts, Epic, iD Software, EIDOS, Activision, EA, Computer Associates, Red Hat, Linux, Novell, Microsoft, Oracle, Sybase and IBM/Tivoli.
- Outnumbered 50 to 1, AMD’s Relationship Management team helped spur the multi-billion dollar semiconductor industry.
- Directed definition of operational ERP processes and program managed implementations.
- Credited with the one of the first commercial database publishing systems.
PRINCIPAL • 1989 – 1990
GAR Associates • Sunnyvale, CA
Consulting serviced provider servicing professional desktop publishing pre-sales engineering needs for QMS, Laser Connection and a variety of VARs in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Consulting practice provided desktop publishing pre-sales engineering support, trade show presence, administration, training, and custom software solutions for small businesses and Value Added Resellers focused on Apple, Minolta, QMS, HP and Tektronix publishing products.
- Serviced over $4M in desktop publishing engagements and contracts.
OPERATIONS ANALYST • 1988 – 1989
Sanyo Inc • Los Angeles, CA
Consumer electronics manufacturer, providing audio, video and household appliances worldwide.
Tracked inventory operations for main public warehouse distribution centers. Wrote inventory management program using IRMA and self-developed screen-scrape software against mainframe-based databases and policy management software, implemented in dBase on PC AT hardware.
- Custom-written software enabled 5x headcount reduction in operational overhead, and was used as prototype for distributor operations.
- MBA, Duke University • Durham, NC • 2005
- BS, Computer Science, National University • San Jose, CA • 1994
- Applied Physics, Harvey Mudd College • Claremont, CA • 1988